Pets are an excellent addition to our family. They keep us company and definitely provide some entertainment!
But, they also leave behind quite a bit of hair. It clings to our wooden floors, clumps into dust bunnies, and gathers underneath the couch.
Luckily, we’ve reviewed some of the best vacuums for pet hair to help keep your house clean.
Our Top Pick – Shark Navigator Lift-Away NV356E
After reviewing tons of vacuums for pet hair, the Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional NV356E came to the top as the clear winner.
It features anti-allergen complete seal technology and a HEPA filter to clean both your floors and your air at the same time. Unlike many other vacuums, it traps 99% of dust and allergens inside the vacuum. This feature helps cut down on allergies and keep your home’s air quality high.
It also features a brushroll shutoff function to prevent damaging bare hardwood floors. When you clean thick carpets, however, the brush kicks on to help deep-clean and detangle the pet hair.
Best Pet Hair Vacuum Cleaner Reviews of 2021
Shark Navigator NV356E – Best Vacuum for Pet Hair
This vacuum is one of the most popular ones out there for pet hair – and for a good reason.
It features ever-popular swivel-steering, contains a HEPA filter, and has powerful suctions.
Despite its high-powered suction, this vacuum is also lightweight. Plus, it comes with some attachments that are suitable for pet hair.
- HEPA filter to improve air quality.
- Lift-away canister makes it easier to get into tight places.
- Anti-allergen complete seal technology to capture pet dander.
- Powerful suction that gets every last pet hair.
- Lightweight for ease of use. The whole vacuum weighs only 13.7 pounds.
- Brushroll shutoff switch diminishes the chance of the vacuum harming your hardwood or tile floors, while still allowing it to deep clean carpets.
- Little maintenance needed. The pre-motor foam and felt filers need washed every three months under regular use. The HEPA filter should be cleaned and air-dried every two years.
- The canister is easy to detach and clean, which prevents pet dander from building up over time and clogging the system.
- Warranty does not cover all parts of the vacuum, including those that are defective. For example, the roller brush is not covered under warranty. This can make it difficult to replace your vacuum’s parts if they fail.
Bissell Cleanview Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
This is an affordable vacuum that is suitable for homes with pets.
There are many options available. Some variants come with add-ons that are specific to cleaning pet hair. There are also advanced filter options, which might be useful if you’re sensitive to pet dander.
Because this vacuum is more customizable than many other options, it might be more suited to those looking for a have a specific type of vacuum.
- Powerful suction removes most pet hair on the first go. This prevents you from having to make multiple passes over a single area.
- Innovative brush design dislodges and picks up pet hair, leaving you with a cleaner floor.
- The powerful, multi-cyclonic suction system provides long-lasting suction. This vacuum is substantially longer lasting than some other models, saving you money in the long run.
- Vacuum design minimizes the amount of debris that are blown out of the vacuum. Instead, they stay in the bin where they belong.
- Multi-level filtration keeps your home’s air cleaner.
- Washable filters work better and for longer with proper maintenance.
- Lightweight design makes this vacuum easy to use and doesn’t tire you out.
- An extended range cord of 24-feet allows you to clean more and change the plug’s location less.
- The vacuum has a high rate of malfunction than some other models.
- Clogs more than other vacuums, which can be a hassle to deal with. This can even cause the belt to burn up, rendering the vacuum useless.
- No HEPA filter.
Shark Upright & Canister TruePet
This is Shark’s original, full-sized vacuum.
It is larger and bulkier than many of the other vacuums we reviewed, but it is also more powerful and comes with more features.
For those with bigger homes or lots of pets, this vacuum is a perfect choice.
- Canister detaches to deep clean hard-to-reach areas. Unlike some other vacuums, disconnecting the canister does not decrease suction power.
- Brushroll excels at picking up surface litter and stuck-on debris, making it an excellent choice for homes with hardwood floors and pets.
- TruePet Motorized Brush makes cleaning pet fur a lot easier.
- Pet Multi-Tool provides some extra fur-fighting power as well.
- Fingertip controls make switching from hardwood to carpet mode effortless. Trust me; it is a lot easier than having to kneel to flip a switch every time you get on the rug.
- Anti-allergen complete seal technology and a HEPA filter capture pet hair and dander, protecting your home’s air quality.
- LED lights help you navigate dark corners and see under furniture.
- Swivel steering makes vacuuming effortless and puts you in control.
- Does not perform well on hardwood floors despite the bare floor option.
- Heavier than many other options. Not suitable for carrying up and down stairs.
- Powerhead is only 10 inches long. While this is great for getting into tight spaces, it can make cleaning an open carpet take a lot longer.
Eureka NEU180B Lightweight Powerful Upright
For an ultra-lightweight vacuum, this is a good choice.
I particularly appreciate the vacuum’s lightweight. It weighs only 10 pounds while still not sacrificing power.
It also comes equipped with an extra-long crevice tool, dusting brush, and upholstery tool to help you tackle pet hair and dander.
- Weighs only 10 pounds, making it extremely easy to transport around the house.
- Multi-surface options allow you to use the vacuum on a wide variety of different floorings. It can be used effectively on hardwood floors, carpets, area rugs, and tile.
- Multiple color options are available to suit your preference.
- 2.6-liter dust cup requires less frequent emptying. Because it uses a dust cup instead of bags, you also won’t have to worry about spending money in that regard.
- Comes with various attachments such as a crevice tool, upholstery tool, and dusting brush. These attachments will help you clean up the pet hair around your home easier.
- All attachments are stored on board the compact vacuum, so you won’t have to worry about losing them.
- The filter is washable and does not need changing. This saves you money in the long run.
- Very affordable compared to other options.
- Not as powerful as some of the other options in this review.
- Can be difficult to push over rugs or thick carpets.
Dirt Devil Razor Pet
This vacuum features the renowned TURBOCLAW™ Pet Tool. This tool is used to tackle even the most stubborn pet hair on your stairs and upholstery.
It also features powerful suction and is extremely affordable.
I particularly liked that this vacuum comes with swivel steering while still remaining in the budget price range. That is a hard feature to find for the cost.
- Three stage filtration system provides a deep clean while also not losing suction over time.
- The filter is rinseable, so you don’t have to worry about replacement costs.
- The filter is fitted inside a foam sleeve to help catch fine dirt and debris. This feature can help improve your air quality and deep-clean your home.
- Swivel steering allows you to use the vacuum around and under furniture with ease.
- Lightweight enough to carry around the house.
- Multi-floor performance provides the appropriate amount of suction on hardwood and carpet flooring.
- Cleaning wand helps you reach higher spaces without much trouble.
- TURBOCLAW™ Pet Tool removes stubborn dirt and pet hair on your stairs and upholstery.
- Quieter than most vacuums. This feature can be particularly helpful if you have pets or children that are scared of the vacuum.
- Not as durable as some other vacuums.
- Not all parts can be replaced. For example, there are no replacement belts. If one of these pieces break, it will be impossible to fix your vacuum.
How to Choose the Best Vacuum for Pet Hair?
When selecting a vacuum for pet hair, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
First and foremost, you should preferably pick a vacuum with a roller brush attachment. Your pets are going to get fur everywhere, not just the floor. So, it is vital that whatever vacuum you choose is also capable of cleaning furniture.
Even if your pets aren’t allowed up on the furniture, fur is going to find its way up there. My large husky is far too large to use my furniture comfortable. However, I still have to vacuum my couch with a roller brush daily!
With the right attachments, like a roller brush, there is also no need to invest in a handheld vacuum. This will save you money in the long run. Plus, you’ll also have fewer pieces of cleaning equipment to mess with.
When selecting a vacuum, you should also take a good look at the filter and bag system. A multi-layer filtration system is recommended, especially if you’re sensitive to pet dander.
You should also check the entrance into the bag or storage container. When you’re dealing with a lot of hair, this area can quickly get clogged. Choose one with a large opening if possible.
Suction power is also vital when getting a vacuum for pet hair, especially if you have carpets. Pet hair tends to get tangled up and clump in carpets and other areas. Choosing a vacuum with enough suction to dislodge this hair is vital.
Advantages of a Vacuum for Pet Hair
- A vacuum that is designed for pet hair in mind is going to be somewhat different from a regular vacuum.
- Firstly, they are going to have different attachments that are specifically geared towards cleaning pet hair. A roller brush is an excellent example of this, though there are other attachments as well.
- Some also have special attachments for deep cleaning pet hair out of thick carpets, which can be very useful depending on your particular flooring.
- Pet vacuums also sometimes have a high suction than standard vacuums. They are designed to dislodge hair from carpets and furniture, so their suction can be quite substantial.
- Perhaps most importantly, many vacuums designed for pet hair have a better filtration system than a regular vacuum. Because pets also produce a lot of dander that can trigger allergies, this is very important.
- After all, the last thing you want is for your vacuum to shoot pet dander and hair out the back of the fan. A good vacuum for pet hair will have a complex filtration system to capture as much hair as possible.
- If your dog is shedding particularly bad, you might want to consider some natural remedies for the shedding problem.
Things to Look for When Selecting a Vacuum for Pet Hair
When you’re shopping for a vacuum for pet hair, it can often be useful to have a quick checklist to ensure you’re making the best decision.
This checklist includes each function and feature of a vacuum you need to check before deciding to purchase it. Compare each vacuum you look at to this list to help you decide which one is best for you.
- Suction Power: Any vacuum you purchase should have a high suction output. This is particularly important for dog hair since it tends to cling to carpets and furniture. The higher the suction, the more cleaning power a vacuum is going to have.
- Filtration: Not all vacuums are designed to capture pet hair. If you own a pet that sheds, it is vital to get a vacuum that has a filter designed to capture pet hair and dander. A vacuum that blows pet hair out the back isn’t going to do you much good. Specifically, you should look for a vacuum with a HEPA filter. While this isn’t 100% necessary for the vacuum to trap pet hair, it will do wonders for your home’s air quality.
- Attachments:The more accessories a vacuum comes with, the better. Of course, the attachments should also be practical and things you’re going to use. A roller brush is particularly important if you often get pet hair on your furniture. Crevice tools and dusting brushes are also essential and will help you clean your home faster. Why switch to a handheld vacuum when your upright vacuum can do it all?
Pets can leave hair everywhere, especially if they’re seasonal shedders.
Luckily, pet hair does not have to be hard to clean up. The right vacuum can work wonders at keeping your house clean.